Thursday, June 13, 2013

Woody Wilder, Video #2, Mike's Wedding

Farm Wedding Breaks All Traditional Norms from Woody Wilder on Vimeo.

I had an awesome time doing this project. Last weekend I was in the wedding of one of my very good friends, so I decided to do my project on the wedding. It was a little complicated and inconvenient, but I think in the end, I was able to tell a pretty cool story. There were a few challenges to getting the photos and audio. Since I was in the wedding, I was not able to photograph the wedding itself. I was able to photograph parts of the rehearsal, the setup before the wedding, and in-between taking groomsman pictures, I was able to get a few after the wedding, and then at the reception. Side note: at the rehearsal dinner I was able to talk to their wedding photographer and she gave me some helpful tips. As far as the audio goes, I recorded the interview on the recorder we had. I interviewed him about 2 hours before the wedding, which I felt was awesome because he was nervous and could tell his answers--unlike his normal sarcastic, offensive self--were sincere. The actual audio of the wedding (the processional music along with the pastor (my father actually) performing the ceremony) presented a little more of a challenge. The wedding was outside, so luckily the wind wasn't as bad as it could have been; however, I tried putting the recorder inside of my tuxedo pocket, but that was utter failure. So I asked my brother's fiance to record the wedding on her iPhone. I had to improvise here and was actually in the dark because I had no idea if the sound would turn out or not, but luckily we played it back and it was pretty good. With the audio portion of the slideshow, I intertwined the processional music, his interview and the pastor performing. Figured I'd take a bit of a risk and try something a little different, so I had the processional music play for the entire slideshow, but lowered to a point where it was still audible, but not distracting when the voices were playing. Overall, I think it worked quite well. I tried to correspond the pictures with the audio the best I could. The thought process behind this was to add a new picture every time the audio switched from music to each respected voice. I wasn't too particularly pleased the way the pictures turned out in the slide show. It was tough to make them bigger without losing a lot of focus. The size of the pictures in the slideshow are as big as I could get them without suffering a major focus setback. I played around with the effects a little bit, but in the end I couldn't figure them quite out the way I wanted to so I held off this time around. It'll be something I definitely want to work on going forward. In the end, it was an awesome experience. It helped that Mike was onboard with the idea of me doing the project.

No comments:

Post a Comment