Thursday, June 20, 2013

Megan Brockett, Video #6, Books


A reading of "Dinosaur Pet" by Justine McDaniel from Megan Brockett on Vimeo.


While I did feel more comfortable shooting this time around, I realized a number of things I still need to work. The biggest problem in this assignment was the tight shots -- I took several closeups of Justine's face, but they were all out of focus, and I really struggled with making a sequence without jump shots as a result. I've captured clear tight shots for most of my other assignments, but I realized that I need to be really careful in making sure that the right things are in focus all the time. I also wish I had tried to get tight shots of a bigger variety of things.

The outdoor setting also posed certain challenges that didn't exist in the card sequence assignment, like the sun around noontime. We tried to find a good spot in the shade, but there are certain shots, like the ones of Amanda and Nicole, where the lighting is poor and I didn't do enough to adjust to it.

I only used my camera to capture audio for this assignment, and I would have definitely benefitted from leaving my recorder next to Justine, especially in the clip of my wide shot, where Justine sounds much farther away.

The assignment served as another reminder to take my time while shooting. I occasionally still feel overwhelmed and miss the shots I need or don't take the time to make sure everything is in focus and framed properly. These are all things that I know are important to keep at the front of my mind going forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment