Wednesday, June 5, 2013
Hyon-Young Kim, Audio #1, Afternoon Soundscape
Reflection:
This was a very new experience for me, making me pay attention to the most trivial of sounds that I hear but fail to notice in my everyday activities. I had some problems with my recorder; static dominated most of the sound whenever I first put it on, and it didn't help that I was in settings that are not ideal for recording individual sounds. The sounds of people talking, children shouting, and the wind blowing in the background threatened to drown out any individual sounds I wanted to record, including the sound of the dribbling basketball, the swings, the sound of the grocery cart rolling along the ground, etc. Fortunately, I was able to find segments with much less static. I tried to organize my sounds in a somewhat logical order, beginning with my footsteps on the sidewalk, heading to the grocery store, relocating to the park, with footsteps in the grass, and ending with footsteps in mulch, heading home. I tried to employ the fade in and fade out tool to the best of my ability, but I think it seems choppy at the beginning, especially. This is something I will strive to work on in the future. Overall, I appreciate the experience of going outside and using my ears rather than my eyes to express a typical afternoon for me. Additionally, I was initially very apprehensive about using Audition because even after watching all of the tutorials, I was a little overwhelmed by the terminology used and the intimidating layout of the program. But after editing this soundscape, I feel more comfortable using Audition.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment