Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Lyle Kendrick, Video #5, Shuffle


Card Shuffling from Lyle Kendrick on Vimeo.

The old war wounds from the Sweet Sequence lingered as I shot this. "Get a wide shot," the voice in my head said. With fewer cameras and a longer time for shooting, this exercise resulted in much smoother video and a more diverse range of shots to choose from in the editing process.

Now that I'm starting to think in the direction of shooting my final project (we're at that point already? I feel old---like I'm at my daughter's graduation or something) I really want to focus on maintaining the rule of thirds and getting a good range of tight, medium, and wide shots. With these things in mind, I also really want to work on the focus of the shots. Focus has been an archnemesis of mine and I will be striving to create crisp images so that my final piece, which I'm very excited about, is something I'll be proud of.

For me, the difference between writing and capturing video is almost the difference between running and riding a horse. Video is a horse that once tamed, can be as easy to control as your own two feet. But breaking the horse that is video requires learning to communicate what I want to the device.




No comments:

Post a Comment