Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Woody Wilder, Photo #2, German Supporter

Jobst Elster looks toward the field during the German national football team's public training at Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium on Saturday June 1,  2013 in Washington. 
Photo Reflection: I absolutely love this photo. It was one of the photos I knew I wanted capture before I even had a subject to photograph today. It captures Jobst Elster--a German football fanatic. From his wig to the flag tied around his neck, everything about Jobst screams "Deutschland." Although you can't see his face in this particular shot, his attention to the session is easily seen. He's staring straight ahead at the 8 v 8 match going on in front of him.

Germany native Jobst Elster kisses the crest on his kit during a public training session at Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium on Saturday June 1, 2013 in Washington. 

Photo Reflection: This was the second photo that I absolutely knew I "had to get." It's the famous "kissing the badge" shot that any soccer fan around the world knows about--it's symbolism is unparalleled. As a fan, Jobst is showing the utmost act of loyalty to his nation. I remembered to try and focus on the eyes. The angle of this shot made it hard, but I managed to get a shot with his one open eye looking right into the camera.

Supporter Jobst Elster salutes the German national team players as they exit the field following an public training session at Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium on Saturday June 1, 2013 in Washington. 
Photo Reflection: Here Jobst waves goodbye to the players as they head back to the dressing room. The theme of the entire shoot was to capture Jobst loyalty to the nation and team he loves dearly, and this photo tries to capture that. What I like about this one is that no one else around, although they are not the focal point of the picture, is doing anything similar. In a way, this makes Jobst stand out.

Overall Reflection: Although the three pictures here I'm quite happy with, the rest of my set is rather poor. I need to be more careful when taking portraits. I had some images that I felt were pretty good, but upon closer inspection the background completely ruined the picture. I know now that I didn't take enough pictures on this shoot. I thought I had. Whenever I feel I have enough, I need to keep shooting awhile. While taking the photo's I had a few challenges involving the area I was in. I really wanted to get pictures of Jobst in the stadium, but that came with trying to maneuver in a tight area crowded with people. It made for tough angles to shoot.

No comments:

Post a Comment