Monday, June 3, 2013

Dani Thompson, Photo #2, John Laukhart

Lifeguard John Laukhart keeps watch over the
Tidewater Colony community pool in Annapolis, Md.
It was important for me to capture the surroundings and background while photographing John. As a lifeguard, every part of his daily activity is contained in the pool environment. Lucky for me, it also provided a vibrant setting for his portraits. I Like the framing of this photo, I think it does a good job of showing John in his element, relaxed but always ready to spring into action. 

John Laukhart, 21, has spent the last three summers as a lifeguard at various pools in Md.
I took a few shots from 55mm, keeping Johns eyes in mind, but it was a little difficult to capture in such bright sunlight. When I set the camera down he put his sunglasses back on and I realized you could see the pool reflecting in them. (That is why I sized this photo so large in my post...) I like this interpretation of his eyes because we see what he sees...and what he sees is the most importnat part of his job as a lifeguard! Since this photo was in the direct sun AND shade, it benefitted a lot from the levels, brightness, and contrast tools in Photoshop. 

John takes care of his daily duties as lifeguard of Tidewater Colony pool in Annapolis, Md.
I chose this last photo to share because I like the action in it. I didn't have to tell John to find a prop...he had to use one regardless! Looking back, I wish I had attempted to slow the shutter speed a bit to capture more motion in this shot. However, I did try to keep the "rule of thirds" in mind by placing John and the swimmer in opposite thirds. 

Reflection: It was SUPER awkward at first when I went up to John to ask him for an interview. I'm pretty sure that the way I introduced myself seemed like I was about to ask him out. BUT, once I told him about our project, he understood what I was asking and said it would be alright if I came back the next day for photos and an interview. Taking photos at the pool was also out of my comfort zone since there was a captive audience of sunbathers watching my every move. I'm sure they talked about how weird it was after I left, but I got what I came for and that's that!

No comments:

Post a Comment