I know, I know. We were supposed to go "beyond the kitchen" to take photos and record our soundscape, but I couldn't resist the chance to capture my favorite daily activity: cooking dinner. A trip to the farmers market after class on Wednesday was the inspiration for my decision to explore the sights and sounds of my kitchen. This Rainbow Swiss Chard, purchased from Raul Valencia of Valencia Farms, was a perfect model. Look at it showing off all its vibrant colors! I chose this photo because the chard looks crisp and vibrant and also I like the out-of-focus fridge in the background. It gives a little more context to the photo and also adds a bit more color.
![]() |
| A Rainbow of Swiss Chard waits to be transformed into dinner. May 29th, 2013 in Annapolis, Md. |
A kitchen as small as mine doesn't quite lend itself to wide shots, but I did learn a few lessons about using flash which I can share instead! Although the flash brought out the color in the chopped chard, it completely took out the brightness in the background of the shot. The non-flash version looks more appetizing and more real than its flash counterpart.
![]() |
| Flash used to brighten up the foreground makes for a less interesting background. |
![]() |
| Chopped chard waits to be thrown in a saute pan. No flash used. |
Which do you think is better?
Photographing food was not as easy as I thought it would be. I was frustrated that the cooked chard wasn't as lively and vibrant as it had been a few minutes earlier...and the simple side of monochrom lentils didn't exactly "kick it up a notch" either. I was tempted to carry my plate around outside and find a better lit location for the final shot, but I was even more tempted to just eat it. The food that is, not the plate. In any case, hunger won and I was left with a less than ideal photo to work with in Photoshop.
Next time I swear I will let artistic vision win.
A freshly prepared, simple meal of lentils and chard. Enough to satisfy even the hungriest vegetarian.
Although this was the first assignment to experiment with my new photography and photoshopping skills, I am surprised at how much I have been able to do as a beginner. I am also overwhelmed (in a good way?) by how much more there is to learn. By becoming comfortable with the inner-workings of my camera and editing software, I will be more efficient and confident with my new skills. I am excited and eager to soak up every new bit of information like a sponge, bring it on!




No comments:
Post a Comment