Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Amirah Al Idrus, Video #1, Redskins name change



It was a blessing in disguise that my first interviews were out of focus (but the road behind the people WAS in focus). It forced me to go out and find more people and get more comfortable talking to strangers and asking them to help me. By the end of it, I was much less nervous approaching people.

I found I didn't have to change the focus too much between people. But I now know that I must use the manual focus, or the camera will focus on what is in the middle of the frame. Which was not the person in any of my videos.

I got a lot better at nodding enthusiastically (but silently).
I got better at making people comfortable. One man initially didn't want to give me a last name, but I persuaded him too (I ended up not giving him enough headroom, so his head gets cut off sometimes, which is why I couldn't use him).
I kept the screen direction in mind, and kept switching it. I'm glad it worked out with using Diane a few times.

Diane's is actually my favorite response. She remembered when the Washington Bullets changed their name to the Wizards. I liked that she could bring that history and experience to the video. She did not have a strong opinion, but her memory of the basketball team got her response into my video.

Things to think about:
Diversity. I recorded five interviews. Next time, I will do more, so I have more options from which to pick and choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment