Reflection: I felt like I could have spent days in the Newseum and it still wouldn't have been enough time. I loved the opportunity to explore the history of journalism and how it's changed overtime. But one of the most interesting things for me was to see how journalism, in the most fundamental ways, hasn't really changed at all. What I hope to do as a journalist today are the same things that Walter Cronkite and the people before him had hoped to do. My favorite of the quotes carved onto the museum's walls is from Abraham Lincoln: "Let the people know the facts, and the country will be safe." This was the job of the journalist centuries ago, and it remains the job of the journalist today.
The broadcast antenna and the newspaper covers behind it in the 9/11 Gallery shines light on the link between journalism and a day carved into America's memory forever. As a New Yorker, I've heard countless stories and firsthand accounts of the day, all powerful in their own way, but I had never heard Bill Biggart's story before. Seeing his broken and dust-covered equipment and watching the video of his story moved me more than almost anything else in the museum.
 |
| A tight shot of an exhibit in the broadcast section of the Newseum in Washington, D.C. |
 |
| A quote from Allen H. Neuharth, founder of the Newseum in Washington, D.C., is carved into one of the museum's walls. |
 |
| Newseum vistors watch coverage of the Virginia Tech shooting Saturday in Washington, D.C. |
 |
| The broadcast antenna from the North Tower of the World Trade Center stands at the center of the Newseum's 9/11 Gallery in Washington, D.C. |
 |
| A box of tissues sits near the 9/11 Gallery at the Newseum in Washington, D.C. |
 |
| A cartoon of the Statue of Liberty and the falling Twin Towers is part of the exhibit of editorial cartoons that lines one hallway of the Newseum in Washington, D.C. |
No comments:
Post a Comment