Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Hyon-Young Kim, Photo #1 REDO, Afternoon


Montrose Park near Rollins Park Apartments, with children playing basketball, on June 4, 2013.
This photo is a redo of a wide shot. I took a variety of medium shots on the basketball courts, so I decided to move back some distance to take this picture. I now understand that a wide shot is primarily intended to establish the setting. There were an abundance of very tall trees everywhere in the park, so I tried to capture their length and height in this photograph. I lowered my camera and focused on the trees. I felt that including too much of the ground in the bottom of the photo would be considered "dead space," so the trees are the dominant focus of this photograph. I had some problems with the sunlight glare, but I think this particular photograph came out relatively well in terms of lighting.


A single leaf on a tree in Montrose Park on June 4, 2013.
This photo is also a redo of a tight shot. I had some difficulty with this because it was fairly windy yesterday, causing the leaf that I was trying to photograph to constantly be in motion. I liked how the sunlight hit this particular leaf and how this leaf had more red tones than the other leaves, which were mostly green. The color of this leaf stood out to me. I tried to focus on this leaf and blur out the background to the best of my ability. 


Chess Table and Chairs at Montrose Park on May 29, 2013.
In this photo, I was trying to achieve a medium shot of the table and the chairs. I had initially planned to take additional photos of the boys playing basketball, but the table and chairs caught my attention. Taking this picture gave me the opportunity to play with the manual focus, though I will admit that it did not come out as well as I would have liked it to. I need more practice in making the table and chairs the absolute focus of this photo and in minimizing the background to a greater degree. 

Reflection: Overall, after redoing two of my photos (the top two), I was able to take my time and take a greater number of pictures from which I could choose from. The leaf photo especially took some time since the leaves were constantly moving with the wind. Most of the photos I took of the leaf were blurry and out of focus. I was really happy when I finally got a focused photo of the leaf. Personally, I feel that I need more practice with wide shots; I was indecisive in determining how to frame the trees in the wide shot. However, the main benefits I received from this experience are learning patience and the importance of noticing the background.


No comments:

Post a Comment