Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Amirah Al Idrus, Video #2, Maryland Food Collective



Mary was very helpful and friendly. She turned off the music in the area of the store where I interviewed her. But I underlaid the music that they had been playing to convey the atmosphere of the Food Coop.

I had fun talking to her and taking pictures, especially in the kitchen. I was surprised at how welcoming the staff were. I only had to put on a hat, and I was allowed to take whatever photos I wanted in the kitchen. I felt like an intruder at first, but quickly became comfortable.

Things to think about:
Mary talked about abstract ideas like business models and food politics. They were difficult to represent clearly and explicitly in photo. I was interested to find out what made the Food Coop different, but next time, I will be more conscious of my ability to clearly depict concepts.

I could come back at a different time and take photos of different people. The slideshow is not very people-heavy.

I forgot to ask her to say her name on the recording. I will do this next time. I think it makes a better story if the subject introduces him or herself.

While I was very interested in the alternative model exhibited by the Food Coop, next time, I will try to include more personal comments. Mary spoke about her part in the collective, but she serves on three different committees, and it was difficult to include all of the information, and to get photos for "meetings", "writing checks" and "human resources". My photos did not match this information. In future, I will arrange to attend a meeting, or to meet staff, if time and scheduling allow it.

No comments:

Post a Comment