Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Tamieka Briscoe, Interview with Maxine Brothers (Audio)

Maxine Brothers of District Heights Md., is a 34 year old woman who remains positive despite the fatigue and pain she endures as she battles the disease called Multiple Sclerosis (MS). She sits down with me to discuss the disease and how it has impacted her life. She also gives insight as to how having a positive attitude can help those struggling with MS.

https://soundcloud.com/tamieka-briscoe-1/maxine-brothers-interview

Reflection: I truly enjoyed sitting down with Maxine. Her optimism despite her struggles were very uplifting. She is a single woman on her own who juggles many tasks such as babysitting her two younger cousins, styling hair and cooking. She spoke about how painful the condition is, but how she keeps going in efforts to set a good example for her nieces, nephews and cousins.

I was initially nervous because this was my first time meeting Maxine, who I learned of through a mutual acquaintance, it was the first time that I had to speak with someone about their private medical condition, and she was very forthcoming and welcomed me into her home. Interviewing her and subsequently reviewing the audio for the perfect soundbites reminded me of how much I love journalism. I love interacting with others and telling a story.

No comments:

Post a Comment