Clearing the Mudd from Megan Brockett on Vimeo.
If you asked me three weeks ago if I would have been able to do something like this, I would have seriously doubted it. This project made me realize how far I've come in terms of my multimedia storytelling skills, and how much farther I have left to go.
My topic forced me to get creative, especially in collecting B-roll, and it pushed me to think, and look at things, like a photojournalist. Since there wasn't a lot of obvious action that I would be able to capture, I had to look for more subtle actions, like the waving flags in front of the house or the light moving behind the toy soldiers. The topic also challenged me in terms of editing and piecing together a complex story. I ended up liking both of these challenges more than I thought I would.
I took a lot of technical lessons away from this project, like how to use the world as your tripod (I resorted to this for the tight shot of the flowers with the house in the background, and the tight shot of Mary turning the pages). It also taught me the types of questions to ask when interviewing people about long, complex stories, and in this case, finding what makes them so passionate about something that happened more than a century ago.
No comments:
Post a Comment