I liked the Newseum because journalists are usually behind the scenes, bringing the news to the audience. At the Newseum, the journalists ARE the news.
 |
| Press freedom display at the Newseum in Washington, June 15, 2013 |
My favorite part was the section on press freedom. Countries are colored red, yellow, or green on a map to indicate how free the press is. Malaysia is red.
 |
| Freedom of the press, one of the five freedoms in the First Amendment, the Newseum inWashington, June 15, 2013 |
 |
| More freedom, the Newseum, Washington, June 15, 2013 |
Because of where I grew up, I value freedom. The exhibit has an interactive display that will explain each country's freedom of press rating. While 'physical harassment and intimidation' are rare in Malaysia, there are laws that limit freedom of the press. These laws mean that journalists can be sentenced to prison time, often without trial.
 |
| The evolution of journalism, the Newseum, Washington, June 15, 2013 |
The most distressing display was the 9/11. I remember reading the front of the Malaysia Star on Sept. 12, 2001. I found that same front page in the Newseum. It was interesting and difficult to watch the video part of the exhibit. I experienced 9/11 very differently on the other side of the world. It was a world-changing event, but it still was far removed from my life. Seeing it told by reporters, firefighters and survivors made me feel more connected to it. This reminded me of what we learned in class about how the audience will always remember what they felt and not the facts you tell them.
 |
| Front pages of newspapers about 9/11, the Newseum, Washington, June 15, 2013 |
 |
| Part of the mangled antenna that used to top the North Tower of the World Trade Center, the Newseum, Washington, June 15, 2013 |
No comments:
Post a Comment