Friday, May 31, 2013

Hyon-Young Kim, Photo #1, Afternoon

                                         
Woman sitting at a table outside of Costco at Westfield Wheaton Shopping Mall. May 29, 2013.

The arrangement of the columns and tables reminded me of the leading lines theme discussed in class. I wanted to direct the viewer's eyes from the lower left corner to the upper right corner, following the columns and tables. I thought it might be interesting to photograph the woman from behind, since her dark clothing stands out in the brightness of the sunlight. I trimmed the edges of the photograph to position the woman according to the rule of thirds. 


Water fountain outside Congressional Village Apartments. May 29, 2013. 

I recorded audio of water pouring out of this fountain and decided to go ahead and take a photograph of it. I took a variety of shots, even risking holding the camera above my head and taking photos blindly, but I thought the movement of water flowing out over the edges of the bowl was compelling and should be seen. As a result, I chose this particular photo. I definitely could have taken this photo a lot better than I did here; I believe that this photo would be much improved if I bring the fountain into sharper focus and blur the background. 


Chess table and chairs in the park at Congressional Tower Apartments. May 29, 2013.

I had initially planned to photograph the boys playing basketball in the background, but I changed my mind when I noticed this table and its chairs. I focused (manual) the camera onto the table and chairs and tried to blur the background so the eyes are drawn first and primarily to the foreground. Since the basketball court was on a higher elevation than the ground to which the table was affixed, I lowered my stance a little to get this shot. I thought it was interesting to direct the eyes of the viewer to an inanimate object rather than to people.


Overall, after taking my camera with me while I did groceries and walked around my neighborhood, I realized that taking photographs is much more difficult than I had imagined. I am still not very competent in controlling the focus settings of the camera, but this assignment proved to be a great opportunity for me to explore different angles and to step out of my comfort zone by taking pictures in public settings. 


No comments:

Post a Comment